Cambodian companies are now required to use a national domain name
Companies registered in Cambodia are now required to use a local domain name such as .com.kh for their websites and email addresses. Domain names are valid for one year before they need to be renewed. Companies have until January 1, 2023 to comply with the regulation.
Since April 2022, companies registered in Cambodia must use a national level 2 domain name “.com.kh” in addition to all Cambodian email addresses and social media accounts. The requirement was implemented under Joint Notification No. 873, issued by the Ministry of Commerce (MOC) and the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications (MPTC).
Domain names are valid for a period of one year, after which the company must renew and pay a fee to the MOC. The domain name will be deleted if not renewed by the owner. In addition, a domain name can be deleted at the request of the authorities.
Businesses registered in Cambodia have until January 1, 2023 to implement domain name changes.
The designation of domain names in Cambodia
A national domain name includes:
- A domain name ending in gov.kh is reserved for ministries and state institutions;
- The edu.kh domain name is reserved for public and private educational institutions;
- The .com.kh domain name is intended for private and public companies registered with the MPTC;
- A domain name ending in .net.kh is intended for a company providing IT or Internet network services; and
- The .org.kh domain name is reserved for non-governmental organizations, a union or an association.
Domain names can be in Khmer language or foreign language. However, the name must be a letter, hyphen, number, or a combination of the three. In addition, the ministry has the right to reject any application for domain names or reserved domain names deemed offensive to local tradition or religious beliefs.
After expiration, and if the renewal fee is not paid, the domain will be temporarily suspended. After 60 days without payment, the domain name will be deleted.
How can a company apply for a domain name in Cambodia?
To apply for a domain name, companies must prepare several documents for the MPTC. Businesses must first complete a new domain name registration request form. In addition, they must prepare:
- A copy of the certificate of incorporation of the company, certified by a notary public in Cambodia or by the One Window Service;
- A certified copy of the applicant’s passport (if the applicant is a foreigner) or Khmer national identity card, also certified either by a public notary or by the one-stop service; and
- A certified copy of the company’s Cambodian trademark registration (if applicable).
The registration fee is approximately 406,000 riels (100 USD) and the initial annual fee is 121,000 riels (30 USD). The subscription for the following year is the same amount.
ASEAN Briefing is produced by Dezan Shira & Associates. The firm assists foreign investors throughout Asia and has offices throughout ASEAN, including Singapore, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City and Da Nang in Vietnam, Munich and Esen in Germany, Boston and Salt Lake City in the United States, Milan, Conegliano and Udine in Italy, in addition to Jakarta and Batam in Indonesia. We also have partner firms in Malaysia, Bangladesh, the Philippines and Thailand as well as our firms in China and India. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at www.dezshira.com.